Thursday, January 10, 2008

Willard Mitt Romney

From:"Michael Busick"
Date:Thu, 10 Jan 2008 11:35:28 -0800

Forgot to hit reply all. We should all enjoy this... http://snltranscripts.jt.org/87/87kdebate.phtml

Pat Schroeder: Gentlemen, please.. please, gentlemen. Let's now turn to Pete Dupont. Pete, you've been running on what you call "Damn Good Ideas", like privatizing Social Security. Um.. they didn't exactly catch on in Iowa. How exactly are the people of New Hampshire responding to your idea that teenagers should be tested for drugs before they can get a driver's license?

Pete Dupont: Well, they love it, Pat, they do. They understand that it's a damn good idea to link the privilege of driving with being drug-free. In fact, I've decided to expand the idea to Social Security. Now, I say tell our senior citizens, "You do drugs, you don't get your Social Security check." I mean, it's just that simple.

Bob Dole: Can I say something, Pat? I don't know what my good friend Pierre Dupont - and that's your name; come on, it's Pierre, not Pete, don't go around telling people your name's Pete when it's Pierre - PIerre, I don't know what you know about Social Security. I mean, Bob Dole didn't grow up with a 150-foot yacht, I didn't have the convertible for graduation, the sterling silver cocktail shaker, or the machine that tears the tennis balls at you..

George Bush: Now, wait a minute, wait a minute! Now, I'm getting sick of this! Why don't you pick on someone your own size! I'm not gonna let you pick on my friend, Pierre, here! Noew, come on, Bob! You're a millionaire, and I'm not sure all that money was made on the up-and-up!

Bob Dole: George, how would you like this pen stuck right in your neck?!

Pat Schroeder: Gentlemen, please..

George Bush: I'd like to see you try!

Bob Dole: I could take you with my one good arm, George Bush, and you know that! In a fair fight, you could use two!
--------------

From: brian_menard@hotmail.com
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 14:10:26 -0500

I can see Dan Aykroyd doing Bob Dole, but can't recall if lambasting Pete du Pont was among the sketches I saw. In reality it was Bush that did it, but Aykroyd's vicious Dole would be better suited than Carvey's Bush to do it on SNL.

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Busick
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2008 1:09 PM
Subject: RE: Willard Mitt Romney :o)

Wasn't there an SNL sketch from 1988 about the whole Pierre/Pete thing? Was it Aykroyd as Dole who called out the guy playing DuPont for trying to Americanize his name? Those were the days for SNL back then.
------------

From: brian_menard@hotmail.com
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 07:54:24 -0500

Brian:
Your reference to Mitt as Willard reminds me of the fall of 1987 GOP debate of 1988 contenders when Pete du Pont and George Herbert Walker Bush were both fighting to see who could dump the blue-blood label. GHWB was able to deflect that label to his opponent - who had spent his whole life being called "Pete" - with a well-timed answer to a candidate-to-candidate question from du Pont to Bush by saying, "Well, PIERRE, let me help you out." Pierre Samuel du Pont IV...not quite the name most Americans would figure belongs to their president. Pete's campaign died right then and there before even getting to 1988.

Brian

----- Original Message -----
From: b.adamson@comcast.net
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2008 4:09 AM
Subject: Willard Mitt Romney :o)

Ahh, what a beautiful name, Willard Mitt Romney. Willard is Romney's given name.The look on his face, when he learns that $200,000,000 can't buy an election, priceless.B.
--------------

From:"Brian Adamson"
Subject:Willard
Date:Thu, 10 Jan 2008 08:57:50 +0000

No my brother, actually Willard is Mitt Romney's first name. Gee, wonder why he doesn't go by Willard? Remember the made for t.v. movie where a boy by the name of Willard trains his rat buddies to kill for him?No, really, Willard is Mitts given name.

-------------- Original message ----------------------
From: "Young H. Kim"
I thought Obama stole the "Yes We Can" from Bob the Builder. ;-) If you know kids' TV shows, that's a funny joke. You're right, BGA, the "racial dynamic" comment came in reference to Cesar Chavez and upcoming Nevada and South Carolina races. Anyway, I thought it was kind of uncalled for, and the silly Nightline field reporter knew it as soon as it came out of his mouth because he made a weird face. If you missed it, you'll have to take my word for it; it was one of those live TV moments. Is Willard meant for Thompson? 'Cause he's Fred? Fred Willard? Funny.
---------------

From: b.adamson@comcast.net
Subject: Re: New Hampshire Results
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 03:00:00 +0000

And how! Young, I agree with your stand on the media. I heard tonight that Obama got the post grad. over $100k a year income crowd, what? Look, let's focus on the good news. If Willard doesn't get Mich. he's out, whether he knows it, or not. Obama is getting some union support and Hillary might have to cry again, that certainly seemed to work with the women. It just pissed me off. Let's face it, Iowa and New Hampshire are weird states. I believe that Obama will get the Latino vote. His slogan, "Yes We Can" is union/Latino code, remember Chevez? Also, he just picked up the support of a major union in Nevada. Further, I expect that Clinton will lose the Black vote. I expect Obama will bring out the black vote in S. Carolina. What about Edwards? He will need to make up his mind soon, whether to stay in and sink Obama? Or get out and help him. I believe that Edwards is taking votes that would otherwise mostly go to Obama. McCain, comeback kid? My !4*&(7! More like, grandpa turned out the over 60 crowd. Nevertheless, McCain is looking strong and on message-I think, he has a better chance than any of the other Republicans. Can't wait for Super Tuesday. B.

No comments: