Monday, January 14, 2008

Panel Profile - Intolerant Seattle

Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 22:00:19 -0800 (PST)
From: "Young H. Kim"
Subject: Re: Panel Profile

Yikes, Brian M., I guess you are still sore; I was trying to be tongue-in-cheek. Of course, it was never my intent to paint you as a reactionary. I don't know how you could read it that way. I put myself on the left as you are on the right.

But I must ask, when's the last time you supported a Democrat or some non-conservative proposal? Were and are you not a Rep supporter all of your life? I specifically said, "I don't expect you to be a Dubya apologist," but you do have more respect for Nixon than someone on the left. You are the conservative Republican in our panel. Am I wrong in that? Did I offend you in some way by saying this? I do apologize if that's the case. Do you consider yourself an independent conservative? A moderate?

And what of this venom against Seattle? I don't get your assessment of "intolerance" here (I am planning on a separate thread on "tolerance"). Seattle has got to be one of the most open cities in the nation, socially, culturally and politically. I did not realize your time in Seattle, politically-speaking, was so horrible. Is Seattle so politically oppressive? I'd argue that it's not much better or worse than any other major city in the US. Urbanites tend to be more liberal.

You haven't even been living here for most of the last 20 years. In that time, Seattle has had a steady influx of transplants from other states and foreign nationals. Dare I say I think you've become overly sensitized to any opinion left of center. Believe me, there are plenty of conservatives, Republicans and right-wing extremists in greater Seattle. I trust you heard about the gubernatorial race here in 2004, which may well repeat itself this year. Mike works for the King County Elections, and he could tell you some stories about the right-of-center folks here.

Certainly we are influenced by our surroundings, but I think your prejudice and bias against Seattle has clouded your objectivity. No doubt Seattle as a whole is decidedly liberal and on the left, but "intolerant"? Seattle is absolutely more tolerant than the right-wing areas in the South, the Midwest and some parts of the East.

----------------------

From: "Brian Menard" <brian_menard@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Panel Profile
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 22:48:29 -0500

Young: While I'm sure it's not your intent, you set me out as a reactionary token. I'm the only one you addressed oppositionally in your bios of us. Is it impossible for you to describe me without impugning my end of the spectrum, presuming that I should NOT be sore about years of abuse from the thought-majority around me, or that I can only support our president as an apologist for him? C'mon, friend, break free of your narrow Seattle parameters ("Seriously?" You bet!) and give it another objective try. I'm happy to help, but I'm curious to see what you can come up with after knowing me so well for the better part of three decades! BTW, after a decade of broad searching from 8th grade through mid-20's, I landed back in the Catholic church, though still with my LIBERAL views on Church doctrine. (Egads!)

----- Original Message -----
From: Young H. Kim
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2008 3:54 PM
Subject: Panel Profile

Taking some lunch break time to start those email threads I mentioned. Let's start with our panel members' (very brief) profiles. This is to elaborate my point that we collectively cover the nation's political spectrum. I'm not trying to label you guys, just giving some background of where we come from, so please feel free to correct/admonish me if my comments are out-of-line in any way. From the Left to Right:

Mike Busick: I've known Mike since my post-Columbia days. Mike has been an independent Democratic supporter and mostly on the Left of the political spectrum. In terms of moral or religious views, he's a relativist and an agnostic. He's a regular reader of truthout.org, mediachannel and the Progressive Review and helps to keep me informed as well. You already know he likes Olbermann, Jon Stewart, Bill Maher and the Simpsons.

Young Ho Kim: I have been a Dem supporter as well, but having known BRM since 8th grade, I had been tempted to support Reagan on occasion. ;-) I am a born-again Christian and attend a Korean-speaking Southern Baptist church (we have a few English-only members as well), where politically-speaking, Michelle and I are in a very small minority, and proud of it. I have my own Leftist views which I consider quite radical. Perhaps I will have an opportunity to share them later on.

Brian Adamson: Brian, whom I've known since 4th grade, has always had a broad world view and long before he had enlisted as an Army infantryman. He served a tour in Korea at the DMZ where he accepted Christ. Brian is left of center but I would consider him a moderate/independent. You've already read of his love of globetrekking. :-)

Brian Menard: Raised Republican in Delaware and remains a Rep supporter, all the while surviving "Intolerant Seattle". (come on, BRM, seriously? :) Are ya still sore about kids slamming you for being a Nixon apologist in 8th grade? ;-) Anyway, I certainly don't expect you to be a Dubya apologist, but I know that you will always maintain and defend your conservative ideals. Kudos to you and yours for learning Mandarin (I need to get off my butt and learn Spanish). Brian is a Christian also (Episcopalian or Catholic?).

Feel free to reply/add/embellish/bash...Don't expect this thread to keep going. ;-)

--- "Young H. Kim" <yhkpenguin@yahoo.com> wrote:

I had a five paragraph response to BRM's comments that started with the "clearing of phlegm from our political systems", but apparently I forgot to send it and it got lost. I, too, am getting sucked into our fascinating discussion and am quite glad that I nudged you guys.

Looks like the three of you covered most of what I had said in the lost response. And unintentionally, the four of us appear to represent a microcosm of the current electorate spectrum. None of us are mere or pure Dem or Rep, but given our two-party system, each of us has to pick a side most likely to win the authority to lead in the way we would support. Unfortunately, true leadership and statesmanship have been put aside for a long time.

One point I wanted to emphasize in my "lost in cyberspace" email is that while I am all for seeking commonality and change in tone, I also want to urge each of us to speak freely and respectfully. We need to be able to discuss our differences and to challenge each other's opinions and preconceptions. BRM, you already mentioned about having a "real conversation". MLB, I hope this hasn't worn out your patience to stay in our continued discourse. BGA, thanks for choosing not to wait to respond and the phone conversation we had on Saturday re: the presidential field.

I admitted to BGA that I would actually consider voting for McCain, if things turned unexpectedly bleak for the Dems. However, it's interesting that BRM had considered McCain to be an opportunist. I still do see him in that light, only because he's learned that that's the only way he can win the Rep nomination. I believe McCain at heart to be more of a moderate and a person who can reach out to both parties, as BRM feels, much like LBJ could do as a former senator with experience and clout.

There's so much more to say, and I'm glad that MLB replied back about "both sides playing the fear card" comment. Really, BRM? And does Iran really "having it coming", BGA? That surprised me a bit. So I need to reply to these comments or I'll lose sleep. ;-)

Our discussion is turning into an internet forum, screaming for a separate thread for each of these issues and topics, so I'm going to try to organize them a bit, as the self-appointed moderator/rabblerouser. But, as always, feel free to say what comes to you. I'm loving this, big time!

Thank you, my dear friends. Just to be a bit more sappy, you are the men I wanted to stand by me at my wedding, and what a select group you are!

Young

No comments: