Obama, FDR and the Second Bill of Rights
Let's list them here:
- The right to a useful and remunerative job in the industries or shops or farms or mines of the nation.
- The right to earn enough to provide adequate food and clothing and recreation.
- The right of every farmer to raise and sell his products at a return which will give him and his family a decent living.
- The right of every businessman, large and small, to trade in an atmosphere of freedom from unfair competition and domination by monopolies at home or abroad.
- The right of every family to a decent home.
- The right to adequate medical care and the opportunity to achieve and enjoy good health.
- The right to adequate protection from the economic fears of old age, sickness, accident and unemployment.
- The right to a good education.
Why does the author insist that FDR "had no interest in socialism"? He did, and good and damn well that he did. Sorry but "socialism", "liberal" and "progressive" are not dirty words, but perhaps they are to the usual Bloomberg readership. And think how a conservative or a libertarian would respond to each of these bullet points...Not sure? Here are some choice comments from a couple of them [I added the emphasis]: