Monday, September 22, 2008

Sorry to be away...

It's been a busy time in the last few weeks. First, I was focused on organizing my grandmother's 90th birthday in MN...a rather challenging feat to do event planning from 750 miles away for a 115 person party at a site you've never seen. Then I drove to MN (and spent an evening with James Kim and his kids...just spent a couple minutes with wife Lisa when she got home from a pottery class before I took off), did some family research at the state historical society with my mom on my grandfather's weekly newspaper column "Outdoors in Minnesota" (running from the mid-40's into the 50's), and had on-site party prep to do. After the party, I planned to drive home in one day, but ran into the wake of Ike's pillage of the Great Lakes states and had to stop when I-94 was flooded out between Chicago (IL) and Gary (IN). Finally made it home late the next day, but found the internet out. Cox Communications made it out to our place at the end of the week, diagnosing the problem as squirrels having chewed the cable on our house and on the street, which left them (the cables, not the squirrels) prone to flooding in Ike's rains. Now I'm back on line and can read what's going on again.

Meanwhile, another distraction has been efforts to make the most of my involvement as we get through the last weeks of the campaign. Among the things I "cling to" is political participation, and I've found myself in the middle of an effort to supplement activity in northeast Ohio by starting a PAC...new means of participation for me, but very interesting to be involved with it and experience firsthand the relationship between unaffiliated PACs and campaigns - what we can do to achieve our ends and what we have to do / can't do to keep the FEC happy. Busy times. I'll keep chiming in as time permits. Meanwhile, keep it up! My kids are into scary stories these days, so it makes for good bedtime reading for them when I can give them shivers with accounts of what the mean oooooollllllllldd troll McCain and his evil witch partner Palin would do if they ever got past the castle walls.

Cheers!
BRM

3 comments:

Young said...

Sorry, BRM, there was apparently a backlog of drafts that didn't get posted. Thanks for chiming in.

To all, looks like our blog is getting spammed. Not sure of a good way to prevent this, but if you don't mind deleting the "yhkpenguin.amomai@blogger.com" address from your contacts list, please do so. For now, if you try to post using that email, they will automatically be in "draft" until one of us manually posts it. Sorry for the inconvenience, but thems how the Internet is...

Young said...

Now for a real comment to your post. Are you a PAC-er now, seriously? What does "unaffiliated PAC" mean really? Not raising money specifically for McCain or the Reps? So when's your first campaign for an elected office? I would agree that the thing that conservatives really "cling to" is PAC money. ;-)

Why don't you tell us those evil McCain-Palin bedtime stories? That's what this blog is for, I think...

BA said...

Good luck with the PAC! I support and put my friends above politics, even if, it may be with the Dark Side, ha, ha.

;o)