Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Final Campaign Speeches

As testaments to the two great presidential candidates with whom the country was blessed this year, here are links to their speeches for posterity. Obama gave a great speech, and McCain in some ways gave a better speech in conceding, especially this section:

Senator Obama and I have had and argued our differences, and he has prevailed. No doubt many of those differences remain.

These are difficult times for our country. And I pledge to him tonight to do all in my power to help him lead us through the many challenges we face.

I urge all Americans ... I urge all Americans who supported me to join me in not just congratulating him, but offering our next president our good will and earnest effort to find ways to come together to find the necessary compromises to bridge our differences and help restore our prosperity, defend our security in a dangerous world, and leave our children and grandchildren a stronger, better country than we inherited.

Whatever our differences, we are fellow Americans. And please believe me when I say no association has ever meant more to me than that.


The keyword there being "association" which was a very gracious and subtle reference to move forward and away from the negative campaigning that had been waged. From NYTimes.com:

Obama Victory Speech (video and text)

McCain Concession Speech (video and text)

No comments: