Wednesday, October 8, 2008

No Gaffes? How about "that one"?

I feel your pain, Sen. McCain (henceforth referred as "This One"), and your frustrations (in my best Bill Clinton voice).

Despite all of his efforts to win the election--picking Palin, accusing That One of lying and associating him with radicals and terrorists--This One has to continue to debate That One. How outrageous! Don't people know that This One deserves to be president over That One? Why don't they realize that That One is not like This One or Us? I can hear This One saying, "That One is one of Them, not Us. Come on, America! Pull your head out of That Butt. Real change is coming. I'm a reformer and a maverick. I'll get Osama bin Laden. I'll get him. I know how to get him. I'll get him no matter what. But I have to get That One first." Such poetry in prose.

Stick a fork in McBush, or at least a thermometer. I believe he's done. How long before we hear "you people" coming from This One? Some Reps are even happy to use "That One" to refer to That One, saying that This One came up with a great line in the debate. Incredible! This is what "grasping at straws" looks like in political campaign terms, but I'm not even close to celebrating until all the votes have been counted.

-----------
Here's a post from the Huff Post and our panelist Mike's response:

TruthSpeaker (wrote:)
John McCain has shown us what kind of conciliatory figure he would be - making dismissive derisionary comments like "that one" whenever he disagrees with someone. I think McCain put it best when he said "I'm not the most popular person in my own party let alone the Democrats." If you've alienated yourself from both sides, how exactly is it that you are going to bridge divides and get things done?
Posted 02:16 PM (ET) on 10/08/2008

MisterB46 (replied:)
Anyone else remember that old McDonald's TV ad with the boxing trainer trying to get his guy fired up to win the bout?

The trainer says (words to the effect), "Remember when you were seven years old...and someone stole your French Fries and you never found out who it was?" Well, it was him (gesturing to the opponent on the other side of the ring)."

After two debates, I'm convinced that someone told McCain that Obama stole his French Fries.
Posted 02:43 PM (ET) on 10/08/2008

-----------
Were those Freedom Fries that That One stole from This One? Sorry, Mike, I wish I could remember the commercial so I could enjoy your comment more.

3 comments:

Young said...

Not to make the "that one" comment the overriding factor here, but get this exchange between George Stephanopoulos and Terry Moran of ABC:

On ABC’s “Nightline,” senior Washington correspondent George Stephanopoulos, who was at the debate hall, said: “That didn’t really strike me, in the moment.”

“Me neither,” anchor Terry Moran replied.

“The Obama people are pushing it pretty hard,” Stephanopoulos continued. “They’re saying it showed disdain again. What surprises me even more: In the spin room tonight, the Republican National Committee is acting like they’re going to keep saying ‘that one’ about Barack Obama. I think that’s a huge mistake.”

“I’m missing the point of that,” Moran said.

“I’m not sure I get it, either,” Stephanopoulos said.

Moran concluded: “I’m not even sure it’s that demeaning.”

----------
I say again that Moran is a journalistic moron. George S. has been inside the beltway way to long to even know what decent discourse is between two adults, let alone presidential candidates.

Am I being racially sensitive? Probably but can you blame me? I doubt that I am part of what Palin calls people "like us." America is built on racism and racist motivations and exploitation. That's the awful truth that the Disney network won't even hint at on the air.

BA said...

Okay, the media is a huge part of the problem. The media, by-in-large is not liberal. The military industrial media complex has played a tremendous role in weakening the U.S. and creating a climate where a one party state is a real possibility. As for the debate, Tom Brokaw struck me, to be at least as biased toward McCain, as Keith Olbermann is toward Obama. Shame on NBC and others in the corporate media for pretending to be neutral moderators and commentators.

Young said...

Even before last night's debate, NYT and NR-alum conservative writer David Brooks basically calls the election for Obama. Check it out from the Huff Post. Of course, the Huff Post likes to spin it to the left, but there's no denying what Brooks said:

David Brooks: Sarah Palin "Represents A Fatal Cancer To The Republican Party"